ESSEX TENNIS Covid-19 updates (updated 01/06/20)
You will all be aware of the Coronavirus situation, in response to this Essex Tennis implemented an immediate suspension of tennis activity, which is in place for the foreseeable future.
The Essex Tennis office remains closed, but our current operational times remain unchanged (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-3pm). We (Celine, Janice, Joanne and Lynn) are dealing with emails and picking up voicemail messages during the above times.
Essex Tennis will be constantly reviewing the situation and we ask that you use this page to update yourselves on information from the LTA and the Government (please see the links at the end of this page).
We understand that our clubs and venues are the lifeblood of tennis in Essex and in response to this we have implemented a financial support package for venues. This includes loan moratoria on AE loan repayments for a year, and the ability to apply for interest free loans. All details have been sent to Club Main Contacts, Treasurers and Secretaries, and more information is available on the links below.
There are many forms of ‘club’ operating under the remit of Essex Tennis and we have prepared two papers which may help clarify the Government advice regarding what might be available under the government’s COVID-19 Response, to be taken up and assessed dependent upon the particular circumstances of each club. The second paper we have prepared may clarify the Governments advice regarding the Self Employment Support Scheme.
In the section headed–
‘Cash grant for retail hospitality and leisure, and small business grant funding’ – this contains important information which you may be aware of—however if you don’t have knowledge of this it is worth investigation. A number of the Clubs across the County have applied for these grants and have been successful—many of them have already received the funds (both 10k & 25k)
LTA (Advice for Venues, Coaches, Officials and Players/Performance)
The LTA have announced their Covid 19/coronavirus support package for clubs and coaches, details are on the links below.
This link gives the outline: https://tinyurl.com/wygurwk
This link gives the detail of the support and the implementation, under the headings of, Venues, Coaching, Officials and Performance: https://www.lta.org.uk/about-us/covid-19-support-package
LTA Hardship Fund
As part of the LTA’s coronavirus support packages for tennis in Britain, as of 27th May applications are now open for our COVID-19 Venue Hardship Fund.
All venues that were registered with the LTA on the 1 March 2020 are eligible to apply for this support, which will offer simple, unsecured financial support of between £1,000 and £5,000. This will be repayable over a three year period, following a repayment holiday of approximately a year, from the point at which the financial support is provided. More information and application process
Return to Managed Play
Following the further easing of restrictions in England from 1 June announced by the Prime Minister on Thursday evening (28 May) and the publication of detailed Government guidance on Sunday (31 May), the Government has confirmed what these measures mean in relation to tennis. Players from different households can now play doubles together as long as they stay two metres apart as far as possible, and small group coaching for up to six people (including coaches) can resume.
LTA DBS Checks 21-04-2020
Sport England have also set up an emergency fund for those experiencing short term financial hardship due to the impact of Covid-19. Clubs, leagues and community organisations can apply for a grant up to £10,000 who are not currently in receipt of Sport England funding.
Active Essex have also highlighted a couple of other sources of potential funding, Other key sources Essex Community Foundation: The Essex Coronavirus Response and Recovery Programme is to get help quickly to voluntary and community organisations that are in crisis as a result of the pandemic and need emergency funding to keep their vital services running. See more information here.
The CAF (Charity’s Aid Foundation)
has launched this rapid national response Fund to help smaller charitable organisations affected by the impact of Covid-19. See more information here.
We send good wishes to all our venues, players, officials, coaches, volunteers, and supporters at this difficult time.
Please stay safe and well and heed the advice to stay at home.
Essex Tennis Leagues and Competition
Considering the situation regarding coronavirus the Essex Tennis Competitions Committee have decided to suspend the Winter and Summer Open Leagues, Seniors Leagues and Summer County Cups with immediate effect. The Committee will advise you all in due course what steps we will take going forward.
John Blewett- Essex League Secretary
Until further notice Essex County Training is suspended. New dates will be published after April 20th. If you require further information please contact Nigel Parsons, the Essex Performance Liaison Competitions Officer on his e mail: email@example.com
Junior County Cups
Following the cancellation of all LTA staged and approved competitions (grade 1 to 6) up to 31 May which includes the LTA 12U and 14U County Cup and events the LTA have now extended the cancellation of all LTA staged and LTA approved competitions (grade 1 to 6) up to Sunday 28 June 2020. It is, therefore, with regret, a decision to cancel the following LTA County Cup Events has been made. There are no plans to re-arrange them at a later date in 2020 at this stage:-
• The LTA 9U County Cup Qualifying Event – the weekend of 6/7 June
• The LTA 10U County Cup Qualifying Event – the weekend of 13/14 June and the Finals the weekend of 3-5 July
• The LTA 11U County Cup Qualifying Event – the weekend of 20/21 June and the Finals the weekend of 10-12 July
A decision on County Week and Over 35s County Cup will be made by the end of May as we feel it is too early to make a decision on competitions which are held in late July and August. With regards to accommodation, we would suggest you speak to the relevant hotels and ask if you can book on a flexible rate (i.e.) you can cancel within 2 weeks of the Event.
LTA Seniors County Cup Events
Following consultation with Seniors Tennis GB (STGB) we have decided to cancel the LTA Seniors County Cup (40s to 75s Age Groups) for 2020.
Many players in these competitions are considered within the high risk category and we felt the chance of completing all matches across all age groups is low. We are however, encouraging counties to arrange friendly matches with other neighbouring counties in the winter months, when it is safe to do so. There will be no promotion or relegation for this season, and all teams will start in the same divisions for 2021.
LTA 125th LTA Summer County Cup Event
Based on the latest advice from Government in liaison with the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and Sport England, who we continue to work closely with in the planning of the safe return of all forms of tennis activity, we have made the decision to extend the cancellation of all LTA staged and LTA approved competitions (Grade 1 to 6) up to Sunday 26th July 2020. It is, therefore, with regret, this means that the 125th Summer County Cup event, due to take place from 20-24 July, has been cancelled. The plan, at this stage, is to keep all groups and venues the same for next year, however, this will be confirmed later on in the year and the 125th year anniversary for County Week will be celebrated in 2021. As things stand, the Over 35’s County Cup events are currently going ahead as planned, however, we will communicate by the end of June if this situation changes.
We continue to update our guidance on our main coronavirus information page at www.lta.org.uk/coronavirus. Should you have any further questions, please refer to this in the first instance.
Our aim is for all competitions to return as soon as possible, in a way that is safe and appropriate for both players and officials, based on Government advice. At this stage, we are optimistic for a possible return of competition activity from Monday 27th July onwards and we anticipate being able to provide an update on this towards the end of June.